- Sugar (750gms)
- Ash Gourd (1 kg)
- Lemon Juice (1 tbsp)
- Alum Powder (1 tsp)
1. Cut the Ash Gourd (petha) into half. Peel and deseed. You may now cut it into pieces of the desired size and shape.
2. You may now prick the petha with fork or any other pointed stick.
3. Places the pieces of petha in a container and water so that it covers the surface of the petha.
4. Add alum powder to the container and bring to a boil. Continue to boil for 10-15 minutes. Remove from heat, drain and wash thoroughly under running water.
5. Make a mixture of sugar with one cup of water. Heat the mixture till sugar completely dissolves in the water.
6. Add lemon juice to this mixture. Bring it to medium flame.
7. Add the boiled petha to this sugar solution and continue to heat till the solution reduces to one-third of the original content.
8. Remove the container from heat.
9. Take the pethas and place it on a plate separately so that the individual pieces do not stick to each other.
10. Serve when the pethas are cool.
Delicious Agra Pethas add sweetness to each occasion. You may prepare pethas as Prasad for Poojas. Kids in your house are sure to love it.